Wednesday 5 October 2011

Week One of Boxing/Cardio Training.....my impressions so far

With a month to go till I leave to hike the Kokoda track in Papua New Guinea it seemed as that I needed an added kick of intensity in my training to ensure that I wasn’t the “weakest link” in the group.  I suppose my concern is rooted in the fact that I’m not in Australia training with my team three days per week in the gym or hiking with the group each weekend.  
Then came Horace……    
 
TW & Horace - looking good at 5:50 am









Horace “the Mighty” Hunter is a professional boxer (Light Heavyweight) and both boxing and accredited fitness coach.   However, look past his boxing prowess for a moment and you’ll notice he’s so much more than a boxer; he was an accomplished track star in high school, highly sought after US College football prospect and Tae Kwon Do expert.  
This week Horace took me under his wing to begin my intensive boxing/cardio training in final preparation for New Guinea.  
Two sessions in and here’s my bodily state:
  • Even with boxing wraps on my hands and using boxing gloves, my knuckles are completely shredded on my right hand.  I find it totally impossible to make a fist with either hand now and just forget about turning on a difficult tap in the sink
  • Significant general body stiffness and pain…….pretty much in every muscle known to man, and some unknown ones as well J    "How on earth can man who walks like a 90 year old ever possibly consider going on a 100km hike and survive" - I'm sure that's what's going through the minds of the people I work with as they watch me gingerly waddle by

Yes - I'm full of complaining but actually love the challenge of testing my fitness each time I train, but I'm sure Horace will turn up the screws next session so I should be careful what I say.

Here's my new training regime:
·         Mon – Wed – Fri (5:50 – 6:50am) – Intensive boxing/cardio training with Horace
·         Sun (6:00am) – 25km hike around Toronto with 50Ib pack.   It takes me about 4 ¼ hours to complete the full 25km loop.

Am I totally crazy???     Feel free to comment.......steady - not too fast

5 comments:

  1. I hope you're adding self-defense and jungle survival skills to the list.... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good point - perhaps I need to take on board some additional skills before I approach the headhunter village in PNG!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel far more fit living through your training -I am glad to see someone is doing it on behalf of all of us :). On the crazy front -no comment...

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading your blog I'm off for a run - thanks for the motivation TW :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome JC - hope you enjoyed your run!

    ReplyDelete